Friday, February 27, 2009

Building Confidence

Butterfly Girl is making such significant changes in the way she relates to people and handles her emotions. There is an 8th grader at her school that she really likes to play with at lunchtime. The 8th grader loves to tickle Butterfly and Butterfly has told me she does not like that. I talked with the girl once about it several weeks ago and it stopped happening. 

However, just recently it started again. Butterfly told me she still didn't like it and asked me to say something again. She said she was too shy to say something to her older friend. There are a million reasons why I want... need her to be able to say it herself.  I want her to build confidence telling adults and older kids that something they are doing it not okay with her...it is something she has always struggled with.  She is so afraid of making someone "mad" at her or disappointing someone. It is such a dangerous trait- being afraid to say "no" and it makes me so worried for her sometimes.

We talked about it and she was not willing to talk to her friend directly so we decided Partner would handle it. That morning Partner was unable to connect with the girl so we knew it would have to wait till the next day.  When I came home that night, Butterfly told me that earlier in the day she did it herself! She told her friend she did not like to be tickled and told her to stop. And, she said the girl said "okay" and stopped. She said "she wasn't even mad."  I think that one little step has increased Butterfly's confidence tremendously. Now, we just need to keep building on it. 

This afternoon we our second student-led parent/teacher conference. I love this school. And Butterfly told me yesterday that she loved it too. She has really started writing. She said at school they told her to just sound it out and it doesn't have to be spelled like in the dictionary. Little signs have begun to pop up around the house...most often reminders for me and Partner of toys that she or brother want... it is pretty cute.  She also just lost her first tooth. She is growing up. I feel so good that she has this school community to help her grow emotionally too.

No comments: