Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Everything I Need

Yesterday at School, Butterfly started crying. She told Partner she was sad because no one liked her. She had no friends. It is very painful to see her so upset. 

Of course, I think Butterfly is a wonderful, insightful, funny, beautiful, inquisitive kid and can't figure out why the other kids don't connect with her. At least the kids at this school. All in all there have been very few instances of aggression at this school. It is certainly not because she is shy with kids. I think it partly has to do with Butterfly starting mid year so all the kids already knew each other. And she does hear a different drummer. 

It breaks my heart when I see her trying to engage with a group of kids- waiting with a hopeful look on her face...smiling and wanting to engage so bad...but inevitably something happens. The other day she was desperate to play with a group of girls who were jump roping.  They said she could jump rope with them- her face lit up, she was so proud. Then, while jump roping her rope hit another little girl on accident.  The whole group stopped and told her she could not play with them anymore. She ran off crying. She is so sensitive. I know it is something she needs to learn to manage in a healthier way but sometimes I just want her to catch a break. 

Tonight Butterfly goes to Therapist.  I hope that it is without incident. I want this to work for her. The School. The Therapist. Friends. I try to remain in the moment. It is is easier to manage fear and disappointment and worry in the moment. Because, in the moment,  I always realize I have everything I need. In the moment, I have my little family and lots of love.

No comments: