Sunday, February 1, 2009

I don't know everything...

On Monday at School Teacher told us that Butterfly will need to make a "commitment"with another student. Apparently the two of them are having challenges with each other. For the agreement, Butterfly and the other little girl will sit down and make a verbal commitment in their own words centering on how to coexist.  I wish I could be there for that. Anyway, I think it is a great way to handle it and I am anxiously waiting to see how it plays out. So much different than forcing apologies and separating and punishing like at the other school. Much more like real life- they are involved in how to make it work and will learn to coexist.

Butterfly told Partner that she wished Partner could stay at School more. It is hard for Partner because although Brother is welcomed, he has a much different agenda than the classroom which leads to disruption or Partner running around chasing him outside rather than being in the classroom. It is also lots of driving...there for drop off, then back across town to Brother's school, then back to Butterfly's school, etc through out the day. (we can't wait to move closer to School this summer.)

I have decided to begin to go in late to work and stay later once a week. That way, Partner can have at least one day with her attention fully focused on Butterfly. I will stay with Brother and take him to school at 11 AM. I am glad that Butterfly wants Partner there and so grateful that Partner can be there. She is already there every Friday all day and for every morning the rest of the week. What a difference.

The weekend with Partner's parents has been relatively smooth. Only Grandma was here yesterday. Butterfly and her went on a special date. We will spend this morning with them before they head back home.

Butterfly used her "I feel..." statement yesterday. Then she asked me, "Do you know what I am doing? I am practicing for School." Then we talked about learning this new "language". I told her I was having to practice and learn too. She reminded me again "I told you, you don't know everything!" How right she is...

No comments: