Thursday, February 5, 2009

Butterfly has had a rough week. It doesn't help that I am sick and have the patience of a rabid dog. I stayed home from work on Tuesday only to get a call from School. Butterfly was throwing things and grabbing other kids faces. While I was listening to Teacher explain this was the third time she had to remove Butterfly from the classroom that morning, I pulled my self out of bed and began to get ready to head to school and pick her up. But, Teacher said she just wanted me to talk with Butterfly on the phone. Ok...

Butterfly got on the phone. She was in super silly mode where she can't seem to get control of herself. She would only squeal and grunt into the phone. For a few minutes I just kept repeating things like "you sound very excited right now. Are you able to take a minute to talk with me?" and "I am feeling worried because Teacher told me you are very excited today and having a hard time being in the class with other kids. I need you to talk with me and make a plan for the rest of the day." Finally, she was able to refocus. She said she needed to "get her sillys out". We all agreed on a plan for her to go run around on the blacktop for 5 minutes and then do some brain gym (that is what they call the exercises they do at school to help transition from active to less active in the class- kind of like meditation/yoga). I hung up the phone with my fingers crossed.

About 20 minutes later, Teacher called back. Butterfly had followed the plan well but upon entering the classroom she picked up a box of markers and threw them at a group of kids. Teacher wanted me to come to School. I said to pick her up? Is she suspended? Teacher said no. She felt that Butterfly just needed some extra support today. She wanted me to come hang out at the school. Teacher said that she thinks sometimes Butterfly wants so badly to connect with the other kids but doesn't know how. She felt like throwing the markers was actually an effort to get into the group. I was so grateful in that moment. I was talking with a Teacher that was looking a Butterfly as a whole- not just her behavior in the moment. 

I went and spent the rest of the day at School. Again, a wonderful experience to see Butterfly in this setting. I have so much admiration for the Teachers at School. I learn so much every time I am there. The rest of the day went without incident. Yesterday, Butterfly had a good day. We will see what today holds.


No comments: