Tuesday, February 10, 2009

To Mom....



From "The Blue Jay's Dance" by Louise Erdrich

"My hands reach down, trembling with anger, reach toward the needy child, but instead of roughly managing her they close gently as a whisper on her body. As though I am somehow physically enlarged, I draw her to me, breathing deeply. The tension drops away. At this moment, I am invested not with my own thin, worn endurance, but with my mother's patience. This is a gift she has given me from far away. Her hands have poured it into me. The hours she soothed me and the deep quiet in which I have watched her rock, nurse and comfort my brothers and sisters have passed invisibly into me. This gift has lain within me all my life, like a bird in a nest, waiting until the moment my hands need the soft strength of wings."

Thank you mom for your gifts that I carry with me today and pass on to my daughter, Butterfly Girl.

No comments: