Thursday, December 4, 2008

Island of Escape


We always know that holidays or breaks from school can result in challenges on return. That's why I was so surprised to hear Butterfly Girl had an exceptional day on Monday after our brief hiatus. She did great on the first half of our visit to the grandparents- the second half was more challenging. We were all glad to be home. We had been so worried to send her to school Monday- I was truly thrilled to hear about her day. Sometimes I begin to wonder if this is all just in my head. I feel light. I feel hopeful.

Maybe one thing that has helped...Before we left for vacation, we created a whole art area for Butterfly in the common area of our home. One of the many professionals that we have talked to had recommended it a while back- a place just for Butterfly where we can redirect her or, if lucky, head off any unfortunate incidents prior to happening. So, we now have an island of escape smack dab in the middle of our living area. And it has worked wonders. The other day Butterfly sat for five hours straight at her Island- coloring, drawing, working with clay. I had to peel her away for supper. She is always there- sitting in her red chair, head bent forward, working diligently and then proudly showing off her work. She has created such an abundance of "masterpieces" that we have made the area above her desk into an "art gallery". The pictures and sculptures stay up for one week and then she picks through all her pieces and chooses new ones to display.

The Island has helped our mornings too. Butterfly said she needs to draw a picture every morning to help her have a good day. Now, instead of mornings fighting with brother or running around, she gets dressed and heads to her island to create. It is better money spent than any therapist.

Most of the time I think Butterfly's art is like that of most other 5 yr olds. The exceptional thing is the amount of time she can focus on it. Every once in a while she will do a piece that is truly remarkable for a five year old. Butterfly has actually had me working on my art skills. She will ask me to draw something for her- I did have to work with here on her critiqueing. I fshe didn't like my picture, she would tear it up or start yelling. It was a little harsh. But, now she just giggles if my princesss' arm ends up looking like a mangled tree limb. She will tell me to do better next time. Art is fun. I love to see Butterfly Girl happy.

No comments: