Friday, December 19, 2008

Today Butterfly will get a surprise. There is a big school assembly this morning. Butterfly will be recognized for her writing. Teacher says it is outstanding for a kindergartner. I am very proud of her. I have my camera out - we will all walk to school together and then slip into the auditorium. I am not sure how she will react to the surprise award. Often Butterfly does not like surprises. But, we will be there. And I think she will feel super proud of herself.

This week was pretty good. She only went to Principal's once for pulling a classmate of a chair. Butterfly was observed having asked her classmate to move out of her seat several times- patiently. After the fifth time with no response from the classmate, Butterfly grabbed "her by the clothes" and pulled her off the seat. Butterfly told me next time it would be a "better thing to go tell Teacher instead of hurting a friend".

She did made it through the class party without incident. Butterfly didn't even get mad when she spilled her blueberry smoothie- she just started cleaning it up. I have not noticed her grinding her teeth as much either. She seems more focused. Maybe we are making some progress.

We finally got the appointment with the psychiatrist- this is a psychiatrist that was recommended by a friend whose kid goes to see him. Partner and I will go to meet him first on January 2nd at noon. We will have to find a babysitter.

I asked Principal for the notes from the SST, her written otes/observances of Butterfly, her suspension notice. She told me I needed a release- I will get one from the doctor at our appointment. I also asked her to star the process for an IEP. She said she needs it in writing- they then have 60 days to get back to us.

An IEP is comprehensive psych testing. If the school approves it, we get the battery of tests at no cost. If they don't, we have to pay $3000 to get the tests. I have decided to wait until after we meet with the doc to request it. Maybe then we will be more likely to get the school to cover it.

I wonder how some families ever navigate the system- it is a full time job.

No comments: