Friday, December 5, 2008

A Good Day

The school had a jog-a-thon- translate mass chaos and unstructured time. And I made a horrible mistake and allowed Butterfly Girl to bring a small plastic fairy she named Blossom as her "lovey" for the day. Teacher said she couldn't have any toys- only soft stuffed animals. I should have known. My partner knew. Somehow, I missed out on hearing that rule.

Anyway, Butterfly did not want to give it up. That resulted in crying in the corner- she hid because she didn't want friends to see her crying. It took me 30 minutes to get her to give up the toy and choose a stuffed toy from a basket at school. She wanted to go home- begging me. I was already worried about the jog-a-thon. All I wanted to do was take her and get out there. But, I figured down the road there would be hell to pay for that...anytime Butterfly got upset she would think she could go home.

I finally got her out of the corner and sitting at a table in the back where she could draw. She was not ready to join friends on the rug. Teacher kept coming over to explain to Buterfly why she could not have the fairy. I think she was trying to help but it wasn't helping. Butterfly was very angry. After a hug, I left her there sitting there alone. I told myself she would feel better after I left.

A little later, I left work so I could home before the jog-a-thon started and watch Brother. Partner would go to the school. Butterfly was worried about the jog-a-thon. She says she is slow and always comes in last. She does not want to run. So, with drop off being rough, we decided that Partner should show up at school to support her during the jog-a-thon.

Butterfly surprised everyone- even Teacher. Butterfly ran 14 laps on the school track. Butterfly had a blast. She was very proud of herself. When she got home, I helped her change out of her sweaty clothes. Partner and I breathed a sigh of relief. Butterfly had a "good" day.

No comments: