Monday, November 17, 2008

Skirts and Shorts

Last night I reminded Butterfly Girl that today was School. It was not met with enthusiasm like it was the first two weeks of School. Instead a big groan and pleading to stay home. When I asked her why she didn't want to go, she said the other kids made fun of her and teased her. She had no friends. I remember that feeling too. Butterfly Girl said the kids tease her because she always wears dresses and never shirts and skirts. I told her it is okay to be different and reminded her of the book we read of the same title. Kids can be so mean.

This morning she chose to wear a skirt and shirt. She had the best day ever at school. She told me through a sheepish grin that she even got to choose from the prize bucket at the end of the day. I never even knew there was a prize bucket. When I asked Butterfly Girl how that had made her feel she said "not so good." I couldn't believe it. She said she didn't "much like working so hard to follow the rules". It was my turn to smile. That's my Butterfly Girl. But she has clung to the tiny toy all night, even in the bathtub. I think somewhere inside herself, she is pretty proud of her accomplishment.

Tomorrow is the Big Day. We have our meeting at school for the the SST. I still haven't filled out the required paperwork- not sure I want to commit ink to paper. I am scared I will make a mistake, something I can't change and that will somehow lead her down a path in the System that I am supposed to have the insight and forethought to avoid. I am hoping sometime before the meeting I will have a clear head and I will be provided with the "right" way to present my little girl... to narrow down five years into check boxes and short narratives.

No comments: