Saturday, November 22, 2008

PRISONER

It has been a long week. Thursday afternoon. School recess. On the yard. Butterfly Girl runs wildly through the playground. She is laughing. She is engaging with another little girl. They are playing Princess Prisoner. Laughing. Chasing. And then Capture. The other little girl is the prisoner and Butterfly holds her captive by leading her around the playground by her arm.

Principle has been watching Butterfly very closely since the big Meeting. She quickly jumps in, pulling both girls into the Office for a firm lecture. At pick up, Teacher says nothing to my partner about the incident. On the walk home, Butterfly tells Partner she was sent to Principle's office. She had to sit in the conference room by herself.

Partner calls Principle. Principle is very bitchy. Principle describes what she observed, pushing the word "prisoner" out of her mouth like it is diseased... the sound of the word heavy with accusation- what the hell do you teach your kid? Questions from Partner. No, Butterfly and friend were playing. No, no one was hurt. Principle did not find their game acceptable. Principle made a judgment call.

Principle wants us to know that she is now documenting everything. She started with this instance. It feels like she does not want Butterfly Girl at her school. I am having a harder and harder time telling myself Principle is on my side. Partner already hates her. I must be the balance. I must continue to attend the PTA meetings. I must continue to write grants for the school. I must continue to smile at Principle, Teacher, the other mothers. I don't feel like it anymore though.

School has moved to a dark place. I remember how thrilling it was the first few weeks. A community. A place where we all had something in common- kindergartners.

No comments: