Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Moving

We have to move. We are excited about it. Butterfly seems to be excited too. But of course there are a range of emotions that go with moving. Yesterday she had a rough day at school. After phone calls from the Teacher, Partner went to hang out at school with Butterfly. That made the rest of day go smoothly.

When I got home that night, I asked Butterfly why she thought she had a hard time at school (and reminded her that she was not in trouble). I asked her is she was having a lot of feelings about the move. Very matter of fact, she said "Yup. I am." And then she was off playing again. I think we will be able to help her transition through this move much easier now that we have this new way of communicating. I still think it will be rough. Brother also seems to be having some difficulties. Butterfly knows what moving is- she has done it several times. Brother - not so much. 

Fortunately, we are very close to our current house. We have explained that she will stay in the same school, visit with the same friends, go to the same playgrounds... She seems to trust that will happen. We have visited the new house several times with them too. Butterfly is excited that there are sidewalks where she can ride her scooter. She also pointed out to me that we are very close to Airport Park (we are in the flight path). She loves that playground.

Yesterday morning when Partner was packing some boxes she stood looking around the room. Partner asked her what she was thinking and she said "Just checking to make sure all my stuff is still here".  I think after a week or two in the new house it will really hit and then we might have some issues. At one point she told me she would miss her bed and toys. I reminded her that everything is coming with us. So then she told me that she will miss the blue ceiling fan. Well, we can't bring that. I told her that I have some things I will miss too. It is okay to be sad. But I am also excited about the things at the new house- like a fireplace where we can roast marshmallows and a yard where we can camp out. She said she will like that too.


No comments: