Friday, January 1, 2010

The Funny Things Kids Say...

It is the start of a New Year. Hard to believe the journey we have been on together the past six years with little Butterfly Girl. Of course, she is not so little anymore- already 6 and, quite honestly, acting like a 13 year old most of the time. "Whatever" with a roll of the eyes or asking for alone time in her room or complete defiance...she feels so misunderstood and she tells me that often.  She is still very angry.  Before we could never figure out what she was angry about- now she tells us- constantly. She hates me, she hates her brother, she hates her dinner, she hates her dog, she hates her room, she hates, hates, hates....  But, although it is absolutely exhausting, I see it as progress. At least she is verbalizing it. And, I sit and listen until she is "done" and then she is generally able to move on. Such big, complex emotions for a little one. She must be as exhausted by it as I am.

But sometimes I am reminded that she is still just a little kid. Either from a surprise hug or a question about how the world works or something she says.  Two of my favorite conversations this year revolved around dogs.  About a month ago, we picked her up from park day (her school spends every Friday at a large, local State park). 

Anyway, from the back seat she says "I finally got to see a pimple." 
"A pimple?" I ask.
"Yeah. I have been waiting to see one."
"Hmmm.... when did you see the pimple?" I ask.
"Today. Down by the water. My friend's dad showed it to us."
"The dad?" I ask.
"Yeah. We got to pet it and play with it. It was really cute."
"Hmmm......" my mind racing.
"Are you talking about a dog?" I asked.
"Yeah. A pimple."
"Oh... a pit bull.  You got to pet a pit bull."
"Yeah. Whatever. A pit bull.  It was cute."

And then last night, we were talking about our family's 2010 New Year resolution- one of which is "Make a difference for Mother Earth." Butterfly was talking about the ways she planned to help including recycling, helping animals, etc. She remembered the other week when Partner and the kids were out and found a lost dog wandering the streets.

"We can help Mother Earth by finding homes for her animals when they are lost."
"That's a great way to help" I said.
"Just like the other day when we saw that lost dog."
"What dog was that?" I ask.
"She was wandering lost. We think she had a pit load of puppies because her bras were hanging down."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yup. She had a pit load of puppies somewhere because her bras hung way down to the ground."
"Hmmm.... yes, that is a great way to help Mother Earth."
"Yeah. Whatever."

Ahhhh.... here's is to a New Year full of growth, struggles and lots of laughs.





No comments: